Without media, life would B♭!

As we’re wrapping up the melody of the song, I want to reflect on the filming that took place this weekend. Also, pun intended in the title just for my pleasure. (Without media, life would be flat- for those who aren't music connoisseurs)
Last year, we had created a storyboard to go with our film opening. This year, I chose to take a different route, as I felt like it would be much easier to put yourself in the shoes of the action while filming and going along as we shoot. As we were setting up the production, aka the mirrors, we had set them up laying against the trees. Unfortunately it was windy, and two of my mirrors fell. So I had to make do with 4 mirrors instead of 6. However, this then gave me the opportunity to film a shot with the broken mirror and Marie (my main protagonist) reaction.
Thankfully the wind was in my favor when we filmed the car accident scene because it sent the dry ice smoke towards the camera. I used à lot of focus pulls to signify disorder in the first stage, even though I wished the focus was more distorted, I was still please with how it turned out.
In order to film my next scenes, we need to have the melody ready. Unfortunately, blogger does not allow me to upload audio files to my blog, and I don’t want to upload it to youtube as this is not à final product and much of my content on Youtube is my final projects and other short films. Also, I am going out of town on thursday until sunday so this weekend is spoiled to work on any sort of filming possible! Therefore the focus this week will rely heavily on finalizing the music.


Here is a breakdown of the music we’ve created for each stage so far:
Denial- basic chords evoking the feeling of disorder and intensity to display the title, and once I cut to Marie waking up the chord evoke a feeling of enlightenment. Once we get to the scene where the characters are about to break off, an arpeggio of a harp dispares the two characters signifying the extraction from reality.
Anger- Lower octave chords with a motif to the main melody that remains fairly dark the whole time. This segment is more excited than the last because the character is reflecting on the anger inside of her.
Bargaining- this scene is going to be one where I use a lot of stylistic elements to convey the use of color into emotion. The music is going to be slower and very lyric heavy so it’ll be the climax of our song.
Depression - for this scene, I chose to adapt an old phonographic song, Oui Oui Marie. The whole purpose of using this piece was to lighten and juxtapose the previous dark vibes that were emitted beforehand in the other stages. I didn’t want to create a piece that was too dark because that is not the style that I want to get trapped in, as most short film makers do. As the song progresses, there is an E flat frequency noise that distorts the character out of the depression stage and into the acceptance stage.

Acceptance- What is really cool about this scene is that I chose to use one of my friends old pieces, which was in the exact same key as all the music we were creating before then, and we could incorporate that motif throughout the end.

Comments

Popular Posts