Mapping it out

This week has been more difficult than I though when it came to narrowing down what I wanted my project to reflect and what genre path it would go down. This week I had my first discussion with Stoklosa about the different ideas I had and possible genres choices. Since I wanted to intertwine different genres, I Decided to target thriller/horror genres with musicals.
A very close friend of mine wants to study music composition when he grows up so I decided to use all assets I could find. Knowing that these are both genres that like all their attention and development, I need to keep things simple. I decided that my piece's overall theme would revolve around the concept of grief and guilt in its different stages.
This site gave me really good tips on how to keep a horror short short and sweet.

When talking to my teacher about this route, we discussed how antithetical a horror film would be juxtaposed with a musical; as if it'll normalize the issue that I am presenting with such negating genres. which is why I chose to take it down a notch and go for  a creepy/thriller musical, that takes the viewers through the five basic stages of guilt and grief in which you don't realize the protagonist has done so until the end when you realize that they have accepted their guilt and you realize they did something bad to someone; whether it was their intention or not.

Basically the protagonist will use drugs, like LSD (or some sort so I can play with the artistic manipulation) to extract himself from reality in an attempt to get rid of this guilt. This overall journey will serve as a 'Guilt trip' as it puts emphasis on the issues of crime and accidents when under the influence, as simple as it may be. I was told to check out Sweeney Todd and The Rocky Horror Show so I think I will draw inspiration from there.

Other inspiration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lih5L08Yh_A
https://vimeo.com/groups/78167/videos
~This link showed so many thriller short films which were so well made and gave me a lot of ideas when it came to how I wanted to attack each stage of guilt. =~
http://www.filmmakingstuff.com/filmmaking-lesson-8-make-some-short-films/




Comments

Popular Posts